View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 AM

Ricky Bobby will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgX5 View Post
Another product to avoid for those with uncoated aluminium wheels is Turtle Wax Jet Black. It's a 2 product tire/rubber treatment (spray on oil/silicone/dressing stripper and foam applicator sealer).

When I tried the stripper to remove the mold release film from new tires, the polished aluminium rim immidately turned grey/black. The black WOULD NOT polish out with Mothers Alum Polish or Nev-R-Dull wadding polish!!!!

It actually etched the aluminium so deep I had to jack up the rear of the X, chock the front wheels, run engine in 1st gear with DSC off and 320/600/800/1200/2000/3000 wetsand/Nev-R-Dull polish both rear wheels to remove the damage.

The box even SHOWS a tire mounted on what appears to be an aluminium wheel!!!!

NOT A WORD OF WARNING THAT THE PRODUCT SHOULD NOT BE USED ON BARE ALUMINIUM ON THE BOX........THANKS TURTLE WAX!!!

Wow I just saw this post and am appalled. Another reason why I stopped buying products in the big box stores years ago.

My buddy Naz24 made a post recently after using Lucas Tire Shine and it left stains in his clearcoat from the chemical in there (I forget what it was off the top of my head but it was on the MSDS)

Compound, etc on a machine wouldn't touch the stains, they are etched.

You should NEVER use a wheel acid unless you're working on wheels that haven't been touched in years. And even then, I only recommend Meg's Wheel Brightener.

For wheels that need some heavy buildup removed, an All Purpose Cleaner such as Meguiars or Adams would work.

For any maintenance cleanings, on wheels that have been protected with wax/sealant, just Car Shampoo and water and various brushes/mitts etc should clean up wheels just fine.

For tires, used WATER-based dressings only to avoid any issues with wheel finishes, personally my favorite is Adam's Super VRT as its more of a lotion, but gives more of a natural rubber look (low satin gloss). If you like shiny tires Meg's makes a good dressing as well.
82k miles - Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown/Premium Pkg, Sport Activity/Premium Pkg and Sound/20" Style 214/Running Boards

Sponsored Links