View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 06:02 PM

ants_oz is on a distinguished road
Specification of fasteners? I'll stick with what the manufacturer says every time. That is MY choice and I make no apologies for it. It is well documented that BMW specify the stiffening plate as a critical chassis component. They also specify the bolts as single use only. I kinda figure that is for a reason, and with neither the skills or equipment to undertake a qualitative analysis of chassis flex with the plate, without the plate, and with new and re-used fasteners, I can't really compete with their data.

So. Who here can? I suspect the list will be short. Zero type short. We're not talking "seat of the pants" analysis here, because that cannot measure chassis axial distortion (for example) in pound-feet per degree of twist. And that is just one measurement that would reasonably be applied to the front-end integrity of the chassis.

Yes, there are plenty of examples on potentially non-critical systems where the vehicle is far less than perfect, and there are improvements available.

Just tell me. Please. How re-using these single-use bolts is NOT a defect. How does it improve the vehicle, or NOT reduce the integrity of the front-end chassis (proof now, not your guess). As someone wanted previously - proof. Evidence. Actual scientific analysis to show that you know more than the manufacturer on this critical matter.

Anthony

Sponsored Links