View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 12:33 PM

BimmerM3inGA is on a distinguished road
UPDATE:

I spent essentially the entire weekend reassembling the X5 and finally was able to start it up late Sunday evening. And it runs like crap.

The idle is very rough and it stumbles and sputters while running. If I rev it up about 1,500-2,000RPM it does smooth out and seems to run better. I shut it off and restarted several times and it never really improved. I don't want to drive it too much because I haven't reinstalled the aluminum stiffening plate yet but I did take it around the block to get it warmed up a little more. That did seem to improve things slightly, but it idles very poorly. It almost feels like a couple of cylinders are misfiring. It has new coils and I put new spark plugs in it while doing this job.

Despite all this, there were no codes being stored and the CEL didn't come on. If it were a misfire, the CEL would come on immediately (and usually flashes if it's something like a non functioning injector).

But on the last restart, the CEL did finally come on and a code was thrown. Guess what it was? P0011 again.

My best guess right now is that despite quadruple checking the timing, I have a timing problem. I'm going to remove the plugs from the upper timing covers to see if the holes align with the ones in the timing wheels on the intake cams. If they don't, I'll know for sure I have a timing problem and that I have to open the engine back up.

That will be fun for me!
2003 Z4 3.0i Sport - Sterlinggrau Metallic/Black (Sold)
2009 Mini JCW (The Wife's)
2015 i3 REx - Arravani Gray/Tera World (Daily Driver)

Sponsored Links