View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 05:33 PM

jfoj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew View Post
Thanks; I'm getting there slowly. I had to work out that I had to short pins 7&8 in the OBD-USB cable to more working, but it's looking good now. I also made a bit of progress with NCS Expert but am treading very carefully indeed there for obvious reasons! Carly seems very good and I'm sure it's going to be useful, but more on the E46s where it reads lots of modules, it seems very limited on my old E53 X5 but at least Carsoft (and presumably INPA when I get the DLC adapter) will talk to the other modules on the X5. It's been a bit of a frustrating day -- I prefer computers just to work! -- but I think I'm getting there.

Thanks to everyone who's helped here for the various advice and assistance.
If your E53 only has the 20 pin round DLC connector under the hood, then you will need to get a 20 pin round DLC to 16 pin EOBD/OBDII adapter cable. Only the DME and EGS is available via the 16 pin EOBD/OBDII port on vehicles with the 20 pin round DLC connector under the hood. Carly will need this as well because it will not be able to see other modules in the vehicle just connected under the dash if there is a 20 pin round DLC connector under the hood.

I am working my way through the Schwaben/Foxwell NT510 BMW scan tool and so far I have been relatively impressed. OBDII for more than just BMW protocol along with BMW specialized/proprietary codes and Bi-directional control for many modules and systems in the vehicle for testing and troubleshooting purposes. Everything from rolling windows up and down, turning lights on and off and controlling the HVAC/IHKA. Also Live data from many of the subsystems in the vehicle, so switch inputs can be monitored and on newer vehicles with a true TPMS with individual wheel sensors you can see the tire pressure.

So for around $200 USD, the Schwaben/Foxwell tool looks very promising. There is a newer update expected out around the end of 1st Quarter of 2016 that is supposed to offer coding capability as well. Unclear what coding capabilities will be released, not sure if it is more personalization of modules and lighting changes or something more in depth.

Last edited by jfoj; 02-23-2016 at 05:45 PM.

Sponsored Links