View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 05:15 PM

Clockwork is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
If it works I think you might want to consider something to cover it except when you really need the additional air, especially when it rains or snows. If the filter gets soaked a Prius will leave you in the dust.
funny you mention the "cover" idea.
So when I was slotting the plastic fender well I was bending it down cause I was thinking it would help deflect rain and debris from entering the CAI box (or atleast minimize as much as possible). Its raing HARD our there today (I'm glad as its helping me R&D this procedure now) and I just checked and YES a few dropplets only have entered into the CAI box area now...so its got me thinking, about how to put a mesh or some othr filtering medium over the slots to stop the little bit of rain water that DID invade today...then I started thinking about snow that could blow into the open slots... so I may end up reversing the slots and bending the plastic slots closed and gluing shut like it never happened and just living with the existing airflow inside the box.
It just seems to me that there is very little ways for air to flow into the CAI box and I wonder if that could cause starvation for the Air/Fuel ratio mix and therefore reduce power?
these are just ideas and I can fully reverse my cutting/heating to bend plastic back thank god.
I may modify the intake pipe that attaches to the big air cowl and cut it at an angle so that when it touches the CAI box, there happens to be a small round hole in the side (not sure what its for honestly since I have a face-lifted e53) and this hole COULD allow some air in the box. No way is it adding a lot of air, but some extra outside air is better than none.
I MAY drop in a temp probe and see how the air temp fluctuates while driving/stationary/hot days/cold days...
BUT maybe Dinan got it correct.

EDIT: SO I did end up gluing on some mesh from a screen door. 2 layers that cross at 45 angles to increase filtering of particles that can come up through mesh layers.
Works great.
BUT at the end of the day, she loves it when I am inside her.

Last edited by Clockwork; 05-24-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Sponsored Links