View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 03:35 PM

bmw540san is on a distinguished road
Update 8/28/16

Total Success!

Other than alignment, all done. Ride is everything I hoped it'd be. Firm, controlled but not harsh. Yes, I'm Bilstein biased but I simply love the setup on all of my cars.

I only did a few miles around my subdivision in order for suspension to settle and to test for any noises and leaks.

Ride height is about the same and what I expected.

Before: (full tank, empty car) height is shown in inches:
LF-28, RF-28 3/8, RR-28, RL-28 3/4

After: (full tank, empty car)
LF-29, RF-29, RR-29 1/4, RL-29 1/4

Considering that Bentley states front axle 28.5 and rear axle 28.46 and the fact those figures include 150lb in each front seat, 150lb in the middle of the rear and 50lb in the trunk plus allowed deviation of 0.4 inches, I'm right on the money.

Few more pictures:

This morning I removed the $500 suspension control module:

adult photo sharing

And the ride height sensors from each rear axle:

free photo hosting

Final check, car running, driving, every single air suspension component removed, no inactive suspension warning light:

free photo hosting

Car is dirty in the picture and bad light for camera but you get an idea of ride height. Basically, unchanged:

free photo hosting

And finaly, if anybody needs air suspension components, let me know. At the time of removal car had no issues with any component: 2 airbags, 2 air reservoirs, 2 ride height sensors, control module, air compressor, air lines:

free photo hosting

Basically full box of potentially troublesome and expensive components to replace vs. $170 worth of 2 high quality made in Germany Suplex coil springs.

It was a long road and my first dealing with CV joint and while I made some minor mistakes, everything was replaced properly, all torques values and procedures followed as much as possible etc...

Finally, as I mentioned in beginning, I'm extremely proud of what I've done and I've saved boat load of money vs paying some shop and gambling on a fact who's actually working on your car, how much do they really care and how honest they're going to be.

Hopefully this can help somebody who wants to do this conversion and some other repairs along the way. Also, I'm not saying that everybody should get rid of air suspension. I simply wanted to prevent future problems and install the suspension I prefer.

Sponsored Links