View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 09:59 AM

Ricky Bobby will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Our doors have been 'slammed' only a few times, in 15 years of this X, and not by 'us'...

I like my driver window down or cracked, if it is nice out vs A/C.
Just odd, or maybe it was 'just time' for 3 of the 4 of them to go kaboom in past year.

I am getting my local Waynesville Indie to do the R&R tomorrow, as he is quick, skilled and doesn't charge too much. All I have is 'some time' left, and I won't spend it on a window job. Almost wish I had him order the pass side reg and do them both, as I know that last of four regs is gonna go in the next 20 mins or 20 days/weeks.

I still don't get why these are so susceptible vs all the cars I have had over the decades.
GL, mD

mD - sorry to hear the window reg worries, glad you got an indy that would take care of it for you at a reasonable cost, its not a terribly hard job, but just tedious.

IMO, there are 2 failure points on the regulators, yes the pulleys can fail and cables can stretch etc, but these are more rare.

Its the black plastic window clips which we always discuss for $2 apiece, these 2 pieces of plastic take a lot of abuse from age, heat cycles, etc - but in addition, its really the plastic/pot metal "slider clips" that the cable clips into that wear to the point of failure -

If both these pieces aren't replaced preventatively or before total failure, you most likely will not need to replace your regulator - I have done both front windows with a pair of "slider clips" available from RegulatorFix.com and a pair of black "window clips" from BMW, and my regulators are still going strong up front, next year I will do the rear regulators preventatively, but they never even get rolled down to be honest, maybe once in 5 years.

Yes its a dumb design that BMW didn't update for the heavier windows from the E39, but once you see how much heavier duty the "slider clips" are from the aftermarket, you will feel better - the OE clips on the regulator are pretty flimsy.

Obviously best practice is to not shut the extremely heavy doors with the windows rolled down and unsupported in the window frame, which I have been diligent about since I've taken ownership - If I want to crack the window when parked I make sure I shut the door very gently when getting out, or just crack the moon roof instead -

My recommendation is since the door carriers tend to be a common failure point, that when you go in the door to do your window regulators preventatively (or vice versa if repairing a door handle carrier) - make sure to do the door carrier. This way you get 3 parts prone to failure fixed and hopefully don't have to pop the door panel off again any time soon.

Time will tell, but so far, so good, since my door carrier failed this year and I replaced with an aftermarket that sticks on my passenger side a couple years back, I decided 2 OE door handle carriers and to do both sets of window regulator clips while it was open. Not a fun job in the least, but not bad at all.
82k miles - Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown/Premium Pkg, Sport Activity/Premium Pkg and Sound/20" Style 214/Running Boards

Sponsored Links