View Single Post
Old 11-29-2016, 10:30 PM

RickM5X3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
I don't see a lot of threads on the X5 showing actual towing experiences and I thought I'd start one for people researching the vehicle. I have a 2008 X5 with the 4.8i and I added the BMW hitch. It was a great choice as the hitch system detects when you've installed the hitch shank into the car. It shows when your backing up to a trailer indicators on how to align the car to hitch it up. Awesome feature makes hitching a cinch.

I have a 2017 Flagstaff Micro Lite 21DS which dry weighs 4300lbs and at max weighs 5400lbs well with in the towing capabilities of the car. I use an anti sway weight distribution hitch. The trailer for the most part stable behind the car. The mirrors are perfect and allow a good view around the sides of the trailer. The car was able to keep it going at a steady 65mph-70mph even in very hilly terrain. However I had to keep it in 5th on flat terrain to keep it at 65mph, and manually downshifted to 4th and sometimes 3rd to keep it at speed on hills. Liked that the cruise control didn't kick off when manually shifting the transmission.

I did find that when in drive the car was very aggressive about downshifting on hills and would reluctantly upshift, when it did it would go to 6th and immediately back down to 5th. Found it better to manually shift, to keep the car from hunting and constantly shifting.

Also,now take this with a grain of salt, a lot depends on your trailer, terrain and speed. My micro lite is 8 feet wide and 11 feet tall of brick wall with lots of projections. At 65mph on hilly roads of I averaged 7.5mpg. On flatter ground at 70mph it was about 8mpg. This setup drinks gas.... I'm thinking stops at every 120 miles when I go to glacier next year.... normally I get about 13 around town and about 17-18 on the highway. I'm thinking a tune might help fuel economy if it adds enough low rpm torque to allow me to cruise in a higher gear.

One other bad thing, when backing up the trailer, and only while backing up if you turn the car off. Then back on after backing up, it smokes.... dunno why, I'm going to replace my ccv. It never smokes otherwise. Just when idling and backing up slowly. It's definitely oil you can smell it clearly. Dosent smoke when not towing and when driving forward while towing.

All in all a great but thirsty tow vehicle.
I towed for years with X3, E53 X5s, and E70 X5, including the 4.8i and X5M. as far as speed, stability, towing comfort, and braking, all of them punched above their weight class. But all of them lost their cool in the mtns (Summer heat, not fall or early spring). The E53s (4.4 and 4.8is) would max out coolant temps (260 if I recall) and go into limp mode, and the E70 4.8i would hit limp mode in stop and go traffic in the foothills out of Denver. The M had a recurring engine malfunction warning and reduced power mode whenever towing; never figured what was going on there. Usually happened towing at altitude and on boost for several minutes. Had to move to a truck to get away from these issues but definitely loved how they tow when they are not heat stressed. I bet I would have had no problems in flat land or low altitudes.

2011 X5M Alpine White/Sakhir Orange, Eucalyptus, Spare tire!, Comfort, Soft Close, Tech, Rear Climate, Individual dash, Individual Audio, HUD, DVD, USB, Cold.

Gone:
2008 4.8i
2005 X5 4.8is
2004 X5 4.4i Sport
2004 X3 3.0i 6MT
2002 M5

Last edited by RickM5X3; 11-29-2016 at 10:36 PM.

Sponsored Links