View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 01:06 PM

dannyzabolotny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by semcoinc View Post
Good on you Danny for taking on this resurrection. :thumb up:

With your experience, assuming the bottom end bearings are in good shape, after you tear into the guides and other high mileage engine components (water pump, hoses, alternator, pulleys, etc.), you'll have a great ride on your hands.

The one you got, despite the high mileage, shows very well cosmetically, a credit to the quality of materials and components BMW chose.

I have 4.6 and 4.8 envy, because there is no substitute for HP but my find hit all the other boxes I needed when I was shopping a couple years ago: cost, nearly fully loaded option packages, NAV and relatively low mileage (78K).

One night recently I read a couple of very thorough DIYs on the guides and it looked like a pretty deep dive, even for a guy like me with a good deal of major engine DIY experience, just not with the M62.

https://www.germanautosolutions.com/..._diy.php#thumb

DIY: Timing Chain Guide & Timing Chain Replacement

Good luck with the projects.

Mike
Thanks! Yeah, the timing chain guide job is definitely intimidating for a beginner, but I've done 6 of them so it's not as scary to me anymore. From a technical point of view, the only tricky part is the engine timing, everything else is just simple disassembly and reassembly. You just have to take your time, label/organize everything you remove, and cut the job up into small pieces to make it more manageable. I'd say it's more a test of patience than anything, haha.

Since this X5 has 213k miles, I'm going to be a little more thorough than I would be with a 150k mile engine, meaning I'll replace anything that isn't visibly new, like the water pump, cooling hoses, and belt pulleys/tensioners. I'm thinking of going with an upgraded all-metal water pump and aluminum pulleys, just to make sure everything is bulletproof. The previous owner did some top-end work like new intake manifold gaskets and new ignition coils, so I don't have to worry about those things. The transmission is freshly rebuilt as well, so I don't have to touch that for a while. I'll probably change the fluid in the diffs and transfer case just so I know it's been changed.

-----------

I have a shipping update on the X5 4.6— it got put on a truck Monday afternoon in Seattle, so it should be at my house on Friday or Saturday. I'm pretty excited to tear into it and start fixing it. I also got a really clean 2001 740i Sport shipped to me a few days ago, the owner shipped it to me to fix the timing chain guides so I'll be doing that as well.

I was actually wondering about how to place the X5 and the 740i in my garage, since one of my garage spots is longer than the other due to having a water heater taking up a bunch of space in one corner. I looked up the lengths of the two vehicles and it turns out the X5 is actually shorter than the 740i by a whole foot! The 740i is 196" long, whereas the X5 is 184" long.

Formerly owned:
2004 Range Rover | 2000 M5 | 2000 540i/6
1995 750il | 2003 Mercedes S500 | 2003 540i/6

Sponsored Links