View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 07:48 PM

StephenVA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80stech View Post
I think the idea behind the CCV is to keep the recycled gases as inert as possible to reduce NOS emmisions similar to how an EGR works. Sucks for moisture though! ;( even a small amount of atmospere let in would allow the whole thing to work a lot better. I imagine the engineers where given zero tolerance though.
NOX is a byproduct of combustion (air/fuel burn). The EGR was introduced to lower the temp and completeness of the burn as NOX increases as the flame wall travels to the very end of the chamber. So they introduced a part of non combustible mix to the intake side to solve that issue for 1972+. Worked OK until someone invented the ability to measure air/fuel ratios on the fly called an O2 sensor, which allows the ratio to be more controlled across the RPM/load ranges. We can and have kicked this one around way too long as it is off topic and is only interesting to SAE geeks.

We are stuck with what the engineers dreamed up and was Federalized for the US and Euro market. It works as designed. We are the last owners (most of us) so we have to suck it up and replace/clean and keep a watchful eye out for what is mostly a winter challenge. (No I did not forget about the oil consumption issue challenge with some applications/engines. Just don't have the issue personally, so I am not expending any grey matter on the issue)

2005 X5 4.8IS
The Blue ones are always FASTER....

Current Garage:
2005 X5 4.8is
2002 M5 TiSilver
2003 525iT
1998 528i
Former Garage Stable Highlights
2004 325XiT Sport
1973 De Tomaso Pantera, L Model
1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 4 sp Alpine White
1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 4 sp GoManGo Green