View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 11:54 PM

crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Alright can I get some impedance advice here -

In a way I am worried going from 10 speakers of 8 ohm impedance to all being 4 ohm will kill the DSP amp over time - and my goal is oem+ with keeping the DSP amp.

Everything I read says that if you are going to lower impedance but the drivers are more efficient, it negates any extra amp draw since it is using power more efficiently? But I don't have a confirmation of this.

However, I am debating sticking with 8 ohm Dayton Audio woofers, and leaving the other 6 at a lower 4 ohm. Will this make a difference keeping 40% of the drivers at stock impedance levels? The 8 ohm Dayton woofers are 88.7 db sensitivity, while the JL components and 4 ohm Dayton woofers are 92db efficient.

I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure this audiophile shit out.
Wish I could answer your question. In my experience (I used to be a pro mobile audio tech) changing impedance on speakers for OEM systems was not a good idea and almost always ended up with interference and distortion when listening to anything above ~25% volume. I am very surprised that the OEM DSP amp is turning out to be 4ohm stable across all 10 channels without producing negative results.

@prop, I can confirm that BSW's amp is not a very good unit. I want to replace mine as well but I went through so much trouble making it look/function so well in the electronics mounting bracket that I have a hard time replacing it. I know I should, but the BSW just looks so good and solid where I have it on the rack that it keeps me from ordering a small form factor mono block to replace the crappy thing.

2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)

Sponsored Links