View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 03:21 PM

PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
awesome find. but which speakers are better?
EXCELLENT question! Here's what I have found between the two. The differences are bold and a bit larger text:

TR650CSI
  • component speaker system includes two 6-3/4" woofers, 2 tweeters, two in-line high-pass filters, and two woofer grilles
  • mica-filled polypropylene woofer with butyl rubber surround
  • 1/2" textile dome tweeter
  • 4-ohm impedance
  • 10-50 watts RMS power range
  • frequency response: 59-25,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 91 dB
  • depth: 2-1/2"

VR650CSI
  • injection-molded mica-filled polypropylene woofer with butyl rubber surround
  • 3/4" silk dome tweeter
  • 2-way external crossover with 3-position tweeter level control
  • 4-ohm impedance
  • **15-60 watts RMS power range**
  • frequency response: 59-25,000 Hz
  • sensitivity: 89.5 dB
  • depth: 2-1/2"
I (once again) have some heavy E46 content here, but speaker specs are speaker specs. The important items here that have us on the edge of discovery apply to an E53 just as well, so dear E53 barnstormers, do read on.
** Power range** TR: 10-50 vs VR: 15-60
Now, I do not *know* this, but if someone here who does know it can tell me that we're on the rt path, I will find some relief. But here's what me and my friend think after installing the VR's in the E46 and being.. not just underwhelmed... Not just unimpressed... Just DISAPPOINTED! Why? They sound like A$$! I mean- echo-rich, fudzy sudzy hollow sounding YUCK balls!

And so we *think* it has to do with the E46 OE HK system that does not have quite the power needed to push the VR's which bottom out at 15w. The OE HK's have a power range starting at 11w- MUCH closer- and importantly, LOWER than the TR's 10w minimum.

We seek validation that the VR's 15w floor is just too high for the OE Nav system in the E46. Is it possible that they sound so bad bc they're under powered? If it is possible, then that puts a new urgency on the Eonon install. Comments and experience sought here.
**Crossover** TR: In-line vs VR: external
I needed external crossovers for the E53. I will use the ones from the VR in my E53 when I remove the DSP amp with the new head unit. I sure hope that a crossover sold in packs with one set of speakers will work with another set. Comments welcome here as well.

I have seen JL crossovers sold on Ebay for $30-$50/pr. That's a significant savings if you don't need them and choose to sell them instead.
**Tweeter size** TR: .5" vs VR: .75"
I'll admit that I did not notice this before, but the larger tweeter will have plenty of room in either E46 or E53 application.
**Sensitivity** This is so close I have chosen not to worry ab it unless someone suggests I should.

Sponsored Links