View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 03:32 PM

wpoll will become famous soon enough
I recently used FAG bearing kits (which include new bearings, bolts and axle nuts) on my '05 Golf (front) and '05 X5 (rear) - not the cheapest parts I could get but a lot less than either dealer would charge. And of course in both cases FAG is OEM. This is not a job I want to cut corners on in terms of part quality!!! Both kits were made in Europe.

I got the front Golf bearing kit ex Singapore for NZ$140 inc freight, which was a bargin actually, as this kit includes a pre-installed hub as well as the bearing etc.

The X5 rear bearing kit was available here in NZ and cost $170 including freight.

I hate to think what these jobs would have cost at the shop. I approached a local Indy for a quote and was told that rear bearings rarely fail, so it was likely to be the front, the bearing was NZ$250 and they wouldn't quote on labour as they had never done one before and wouldn't guess on the time required.

So I spent another NZ$400 on tools and did them myself. Not an easy job but I took my time and had few issues. Things are TIGHT on these bearings but with the correct tools and techniques it all went pretty smoothly.

When/if I do a front bearing, I'll have to get some addition tools as the only bearing removal tool I could get doesn't have a receiver large enough for the X5 front - it only goes up to 91mm and you need one about 100mm or so. I'll get a local engineering firm to make me up a custom receiver when/if I tackle a front bearing.

Sponsored Links