View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 10:12 PM

williamx5 is on a distinguished road
Good day!

Well, I'm not positive, but this sounds exactly like what I am still dealing with concerning my 2004... I got the vehicle with a bad motor that was rebuildable. I rebuilt the motor and figured I had a perfect X5... The same thing you have been dealing with turned up... Ran great! Shifted great! Vehicle was perfect........ until it warmed up... I did some research and discovered my issue was the faulty mechatronics (EGS) chip connections... I purchased a 2006 trans and pulled the EGS module from it to use in my 2004... I rebuilt my valve body and used the 2006 EGS... I had to purchase the ICOM and a dedicated computer to talk to the EGS as NCS Expert would not program over the bus line the EGS uses... After my program of the new EGS, the trans fail problem went away, but I'm still not getting the perfect vehicle I had with the old EGS (prior to failsafe)... I have hard shifts from 1 to 2... And from 3 to 2... And 3 to 4 has a flare... I've had the vehicle for a year and have only driven it for the past two months, mainly in manual shift mode... I can't race it... The trans gets confused and it actually let the motor tach out over redline twice... Not bad as the vehicle slowed rapidly, but still... I just got the motor right, I don't need the trans blowing it up... I've given up on the 2004 and will be installing the good motor in my 2006 tomorrow... Not sure what I will do with the 2004, but it isn't worth my time to keep playing with software and programming over and over...

Long story short... It might be the mechatronics in the bottom of the trans... BMW calls it the EGS... Different module than the TCM... I love my 2002 4.6is cause it doesn't have that EGS inside the trans...

Good luck!!!

Cheers!!!
2008 Mini Cooper S ragtop (04-17-2008 build date) Dark Silver exterior / Gray interior ( Topless)
BMWCCA member (#4745)

Sponsored Links