View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 02:58 PM

X53Jay4.8is is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcbe34 View Post
Yep! I recognize your username from m5board, along with Danny. Seems that the X5 is a pretty logical companion to the M5, like others have said.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. Really enjoying this thing so far, but I really haven't driven it too much because my girlfriend has really taking a liking to it as well. She sold her car recently and was searching for a Volvo C30 R-design, but after driving the X5 for a few days she's decided that we don't need another car. Fine with me, but that leaves me with a decision to make on my M5. It has 105k miles right now, and if I'm going to be driving it every day I need to decide if I'm going to keep this one and drive the value out of it or sell it and buy something that already has some miles on it. Really considering swapping it for another e34 m5.

DSC_0337 by Jonathan braswell, on Flickr

A little more regarding this issues with the X5... The 3-4 shift problem is on upshifts. I can make it better by using manual mode, but it still doesn't shift into 4th the same way it does into any other gear. Not super worried about it because I know everything in the transmission is mechanically good, but I will try to get to the bottom of it after I take care of the more glaring issues.

The vibration is the first thing I'm going to fix. I need to get tires balanced just to see how bad it really is but I'm sure these things eat thrust arms, I would imagine they would be even worse than the M5. So- what do you guys replace them with? I have sphericals on my M5, and they feel amazing but I'm not a huge fan of the increased NVH and they have also made the car hyper-sensitive to wheel/tire imbalance. I want to avoid all of that on the X5. Should I just use the updated Lemforder pieces? It looks like they made a new rubber bushing with some different plastic inserts.
I used the heavy duty armored car/severe service version bushings for the control arms. ECS tuning sells them and you can get them from BMW since they make them.

Sponsored Links