View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 05:08 PM

bhuang1103 is on a distinguished road
First, I do want to thank all list members who gave inputs.

I researched this further, and found the attached article interesting:

Eric, I fixed your MID from Peter. Writeup of E38 MID repair

Yesterday, I read many threads where people claim the ribbon cables do not need to be heat bonded (many Ebay folks says you need the T-soldering tip). AKSpeedo claims no bonding, though they do not state what makes their ribbon special that you don't need to bond.

So perhaps if you think about the root cause of missing pixels, it must be the pads from the ribbon separating from the pads on the PCB or the LCD. I have seen articles indicating only the pads separate from the PCB and not so much LCD. People who has done this, do you agree?

White46, did you need to heat the pads to 300C for your successful repair?

From the AKSpeedo video and the above bimmerboard article, it appears the root cause may be the adhesive the BMW applied originally in their heat bonding. And cleaning the adhesive off can make many pixels reappear. Then it is not clear to me why the issue is more pronounced on the PCB side vs the LCD side.

As a mechanical engineer, I doubt I will find broken traces when I examine the old ribbon cable.

And would appreciate the eBay sources that worked for the people who went through the repair. Thanks in advance.

Best, Ben

Sponsored Links