View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 12:18 PM

Nick_X5 is on a distinguished road
X5 e53 battery drain???

X5 e53 3.0d 2005 :

Hi all been a long time silent visitor to xoutpost.com and learned so much from you guys- glad I finally signed up and joined the conversation:

I have an intermittent battery drain, had it since buying the car in 2012. Symptoms identical for 3 batteries so definitely not battery issue. Unlocked cluster test 9 and with engine on I have consistent alternator reading of 14.1 lights/heater/radio off and 13.8 with lights/heater/radio on so alternator seems to be performing properly.

The car is usually ok if left for 24 hours and shows no evidence of a drain. For instance, I just put a brand new bosch s5 a13 019 battery on which read 12.66 volts on multimeter prior to installing. Car started perfectly and after a brief drive to the supermarket and back (about 8 miles in total) - left car standing without alarm enabled and the fsr removed for precaution- then checked 24 hrs later with multimeter. Battery showed 12.66v.indicating no drain. However, this has been the case on tests with previous battery so I didn't drive car for another 24 hrs and checked multimeter which read 12.54v. A 0.12 drop.

In summary: seems to be no drain if left standing for 24 hrs then the following 24 hrs if not driven the drain happens. The multimeter shows a drop of.0.12 volts and this was the case with the previous battery which was failing after 3 years.

As a precaution I unplugged the Fsu before leaving the car standing for these tests even though it shows no symptoms of failure.

No after market mods other than the head unit but the exact symptoms where present before I changed this. The new head unit is a hualigen e53 specific model and tbf has performed perfectly for 3 years. The Sat nav and cd changer where unplugged and taken out but the original non dsp amp remains as before. The drain was present before this work was done.

I also recently found an aftermarket trailer module wired in left by previous owner and thought I'd found the culprit yet this was fully removed but symptoms have remained the same.

No telephone in car but removed tcu fuse as well as heated rear seat and rear seat adjustment fuses to be sure as the car has neither of these features.

Any ideas guys?

Many thanks!!

Sponsored Links