View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 01:01 AM

PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Thanks guys. I've just accepted the fact that this just won't happen anytime soon. I just can't justify half the value of my truck in a folding mirror retrofit...
I know how ya feel. I swapped non folding mirrors in my E39 for the MTech folding mirrors new from the dealer including new driver and passenger door modules. I even did the aspheric, heated glass for them.

It was only ab $1500. But of course, it was also nearly 15 yrs ago!

As for the E53's mirrors, I'd say forget ab it. They're not a completely different look like the MTech in the E39. They look exactly the same. I mean, sure, function is great and everything, but if there's no change in form, function better rise to a fully new level.

E53 folding mirrors just aren't the coolest thing the chassis can offer.

FWIW, the folding mirrors have > 150k miles in my old 3.0 2004 (sold to my neighbor). They worked great. The folding mirrors in my '04 4.8is- we're *just* flirting with 115k- work great as well. Now the bigger question: Do I use them?

Yeah. I use them. But if I didn't have them, I would either use better judgement (ie park in a better spot) or I would manually fold 'em.

In fact, I don't think my mother in law's '01 3.0 has them. We've had it since new and it's also at ~115k. I have not ever. Like never, not ever. Either found the need nor the desire to fold them in.

So feel better. If you're going to fail at something, failing at being the proverbial fool who was parted with his money is an especially fortunate choice.

Sponsored Links