View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 12:07 PM

SEVEN40iL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
Changing the diff oils made zero detectable difference to the driving experience.

I wanted to change the XDrive fluid at the same time but I cannot find a source for the fluid locally and I need to get DIS running so I can reset the oil wear adaptations after the change. It's still on my to-do list.
So then XDrive fluid should be looked at as well then? Is this also known as the Transfer box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
Does this happen in both directions and every time? Do you feel it in the steering wheel or the shifter?
Yes, both directions, every time. And I feel it in my seat, not the steering wheel or shifter, which makes me believe it is something in the rear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourtaud23 View Post
A few questions :
- Are you sure tires a identical in size, wear and inflation?
- Are your ABS sensors working?
- Are your front lower arms in good shape?

If the arms (silent blocs) are worn, it can cause this. It did on mine sometimes.

As for the tires and sensors, I'm guessing the xDrive uses the sensors to determine in a wheel is slipping so if they're worn, it'll engage and hence dribble at low speed while turning enough to make a difference in actual speed.

I don't own an xDrive but a 2002 but if its even partly mechanical, it probably uses a viscous coupling (as do Range Rovers since the 1990's) and those can go bad either from oil contamination or excessive use on road (driving with runflats is a known problem if not taken care of quickly).

You've got some checking to do and it can't hurt to change the fluids in the diffs and transfer box, they're no more lifetime than the gearbox.
Tires are brand new 255/55/18 all around, ABS sensors are working as far as I know... I heard and felt them working the other day coming to a stop, so I would assume the ABS is functional.

As for the front lower arms, they do not have any play in them. Had my mechanic check the entire suspension setup when I did the Hardrace Camber & Toe arms in the rear.

So just to recap, I should be doing a flush and fill in both front and rear diffs and the transfer box? (XDrive fluid?)

Any other suggestions while I'm getting all of that done?

Follow me on Instagram @SEVEN40iL

Sponsored Links