View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 03:18 PM

oldskewel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
You could be right on the E53 key, I don't have an answer but the site below will accept photos of registration and drivers license as valid proof to send to BMW. It might be worth a phone call or email.

https://thebmwminipartstore.com/faq/...&siteID=218365
I was in the same situation as the OP when I got my 2001 E53 3 + years ago. Just one diamond key.

I bought 3x valet keys from the bmw mini parts store. Needed to email them a scan of my driver's license and registration, and they mailed me the keys within a couple of days. The valet vs. regular non-remote key was an error on their part, but good enough for me. The only difference is the lack of ability to lock the glove box, which I never do anyway. Paid about $40 per key.

Then I bought 3x used original BMW diamond keys on eBay for $15 each. Cut the keys off, and reprogrammed them myself so they are now basically key fobs to go with the valet keys. All the keyless entry functionality is the same as if I had bought a $150 diamond key (I think that's about the bmwmini... price), but mine were $40+$15 = $55 each. Kids ...

I'd do the exact same thing again, except I'd try to get the regular key vs. the valet key. Black head vs. Gray head. And just in case I would ever lock the glove box ...

And yes, there is a lifetime limit of 10 EWS keys (the actual key with the immobilizer chip, regardless of the remote control functionality) per vehicle.

Sponsored Links