View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 09:49 PM

PropellerHead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajacks8 View Post
In your opinion - should I or do I need to hold out for the DSP amp at 8x the cost...or can I use the amp I just got with the Eonon head unit? Thanks, and I'm excited for your detailed write up with plenty of pictures Ha.
I'm actually on day 2 of my DSP amp removal and replace with a JL amp. The key (at least as I understand it) is simple: crossovers. Active or passive, it doesn't matter, but it is my understanding that the OE DSP amp acts as a crossover to the tweeters and door subs. As such, it acts as the 'filter' for the outgoing sound, allowing only high frequencies to tweeters and lows to door mids/subs.

I've settled on a set of passive JL crossovers (4). I had them sitting around, so it fits with the 'budget build' I started with JL 650CSi speakers. That's 2 Xovers per side, one for high, one for low. I also have a sub with its own amp.

The head unit will be installed at the same time- this one is branded the Xtrons. We all know by now they're pretty much the same chinese units with little more than branding separating them.

My install should be complete at the end of the week. After driving around in the E39 with a built system, I am looking forward to the experience in the E53. The next thing I'll do is to line the door panels in a dynamat equivalent. I did this in the E46 and the doors close sounding like like an E class Merc.

I'll start or continue a thread with the updates.

Sponsored Links