View Single Post
Old 06-22-2018, 10:39 AM

andrewwynn will become famous soon enough
It does sound like head gasket.

I just helped swap a few heads on M62 motor. It's no doubt a big DIY project but very worthwhile. I have a brother that can machine the head flat but if you take it out and measure and the flatness is within spec you can just replace the head gaskets.

Don't make my mistake an miss the phase three of tightening: on M62 you pre-tension to 30 N·m then two separate passes of 80° turns. Read the bently to determine the exact value for that car.

I wouldn't go as far as to say the car overheated it's just as likely the symptom followed the cause. Eg. If the head gasket gave way and is letting combustion gas into the coolant it will over press the system and vent out the cap while not hot.

It should be on the order of $200-400 in parts and a solid weekend of work to do the head gasket. Iirc you said M54 gas motor so just one head half the work.

When I did the M62 motor I was able to remove the fuel rail then the spark hardware and flip it up over the windshield leaving all the Electronics connected save two connectors that go down the front. One is the oil level sensor the other is possibly the crank sensor, or another block temp sensor it's right on the bottom of the M62.

My thought on that repair is that like paying for a class, it would be worth the $400 even if you discover mid-way or after reassembling that something bigger inside killed the engine.

On the M62s we rebuilt we had to swap valves that were bent from broken timing chain and yet they came back together and ran afterwords.

Sponsored Links