View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 04:46 PM

wpoll will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskewel View Post
Sounds good. Very interesting on the squashed nut - makes sense.

I've got the similar-but-different 3.0i, and have the manifolds off right now. On that engine, they are 11mm hex nuts on M7-1.0 threads, copper plated steel (I assume - they look copper, but are magnetic).

When I pulled them, of the 16 studs (different layout from the 3.0d), I think 11 studs came out of the head rather than the nut coming off the stud. And I think I did this all from above.

Regarding getting the 12mm deep sockets, I swear I used about half a dozen different options getting my nuts/studs out, and I needed all of them. Ratcheting 11mm wrench, 7/16" wrench, solid closed end angled 11mm wrench (that was thinner that the other options), short sockets, long sockets. I wish I had a swivel socket in an 11mm (I do in 10 and 12), but that is such a rare size.

Since it is such a tight fit on my engine, I sometimes had problems fitting 3/8" drive sockets, where a 1/4" drive might fit. And every one of those 16 nuts was a different adventure. Some took less than a minute, some took 30 minutes. Wow.

Also, I don't have any E12 around there, but it sounds like you do. In case there is a place where you can't fit a regular E12 socket, I recently figured out that a Craftsman 3/8" Universal ratcheting wrench is a PERFECT fit on the pretty-common E12 head. This is a wrench designed for a 3/8" hex head, but they make it "universal" by making it with 12 bumps, allowing it to fit hex, square, torx, etc. You'd generally want just the regular E12 socket, but when that does not fit ...

Here it is: https://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-...p-00920601000P

Attachment 74068

Of course much cheaper when buying a set. The 10mm version works pretty well too, but is slightly looser than the 3/8".

Those gaskets look interesting. What are those extra holes on the side for? Alignment of some sort?
Thanks oldskewel - I've been following your thread - sounds likes you are doing well.

The one-piece manifold on the M57 engines makes it all a LOT easier, but I expect to be using a range of tools as you did, especially when it comes to dealing with the studs. Still debating what do do about the studs - final decision will depend on how many studs come out with the nuts.

As I just mentioned to deepblonde, I don't think the turbo/manifold bolts are an e-bolt - they are just a "double-hex" head and any good 12 point socket will work. I have a good set of e-sockets on hand though.

BTW, Sears URL links no longer work outside of the USA - just redirects to an "international shoppers" page.

And the gasket - yes, interesting design. I don't see any purpose for all the extra tabs and holes - used during robotic assembly in the factory maybe? They are a multi-layer composite gasket so maybe the punched holes help bind the layers somehow?

Sponsored Links