View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 07:00 PM

oldskewel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
Vanos controls the difference between intake and exhaust camshafts. The exhaust camshafts are locked in phase with the crank shaft but the intake camshafts will vary to change how long they are open and when they open. On the N62 in addition there is an additional set of hardware that amazingly also changes how FAR they open!

The solinoids control the vanos and if it's sticky it will most certainly affect throttle performance at any position. It's about 30 hours less work to change the solinoids vs refresh the vanos seals so very good news for you.
On my M54 with Double VANOS, the exhaust camshaft does get adjusted relative to the crankshaft. It was the single VANOS that only adjusted the intake camshaft. And with double VANOS, it can be continously adjusted. Pretty cool. Amazing, actually.

I just rebuilt (seals and rattle rings) the double VANOS on my '01 3.0i. I did not touch the solenoids, not even to replace the o-rings that were supplied in the Victor Reinz head gasket kit, figuring they were easily accessible if they were to ever cause a problem, and I thought there was a chance I might actually create a leak by touching it.

As you say, though, replacing the internal VANOS seals and rattle rings is usually a much deeper dive. But in my case, it was easy since I had the head off already.

Sponsored Links