View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 10:20 AM

JesterMX6 is on a distinguished road
After many BMWs, finally snagged my first X

TL/DR version: been through a bunch of cars. BMWs were always my favorite. Needed a winter vehicle and snagged an amazing 200,000 mile X5.

====================================

Greetings all. So...I tend to go through cars like most people go through underwear. This means I've had the opportunity to drive quite a variety of vehicles, my favorites of which have been BMWs. My first car was a salvage title E32 735i and it kind of ruined me. I mean, never again would any auto manufacturer live up to the quality i experienced at the age of 16. So in the midst of all the Mazdas, Jeeps, Hondas, etc that I've owned, the BMWs have always been the shining stars. I've gone through a few E34s, E36s, one E46 and currently own a 1990 535i/5 and a 1997 Z3 2.8. I rarely hang onto them very long though which means as Fall approaches I usually find myself searching for a capable winter vehicle to handle the midwest weather. This year I ended up finding an amazing example of an E53 at our local auto auction and just couldn't turn it away. So now I've finally purchased my first X with a 2005 3.0i

As far as I can tell it was optioned with shadowline trim (windows only. was it not an option for the grille?), cold weather package, standard non DSP stereo which I've since replaced with a Sony, bixenon auto-level headlamps, and electric folding mirrors which of course are broken.

Overall for 196,000 miles though, I couldn't be happier.

So far I'm in love. The purchase was an absolute steal because the front brakes were grinding and the SES light was on. Brakes/rotors have already been replaced and the SES light is on due to a Lean condition code followed by a system wide misfire. I already found the vacuum leaks and am replacing intake boots. Surprisingly, the DISA valve doesn't appear to be leaking. I also replaced the aux fan and the a/c works flawlessly now.

Things to be fixed still:
Left headlamp has a bad ballast and bad halo bulb. Also foggy and needs to be restored
Right Rear door doesn't open from outside
Flush mount the head unit USB plug into the Metra dash kit
Find the right exhaust bumper surround
Driver mirror doesn't fold in
Possibly install a hitch receiver
Drivers door window regulator
Trans fluid and filter
Possibly replace the oil pressure sending unit. Oil light flickers at idle, but that could be due to the lower idle from the vacuum leaks.

The list seems long, but its all pretty minor stuff. I'm still amazed at how clean it is considering the mileage. Happy to finally have my first X5 and looking forward to fixing the few things wrong and making a few modifications along the way.
90 BMW 535i - Never Gonna Give You Up

Sponsored Links