View Single Post
Old 10-02-2018, 06:16 PM

BMWguy206 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys!

I have a 2006 BMW X5 3.0i, with 128,000 miles, and have some fuel gauge issues. A couple of months ago, the X5 ran out of fuel when the fuel gauge needle was between the 1/4 and 1/2 hash mark. This all started after another shop replaced the fuel pump and they said it was nothing that they did. Last month, I added a full tank of gas and needle moved to 1/2 mark. I removed both fuel sending units and didn't find anything wrong. I reinstalled it and the needle went to full. I figured that maybe something got stuck and now it was fixed. A couple of weeks later, the car died again because it ran out of fuel and the needle was just under the 1/2 mark. I took it to a shop to read faults and they said I had the following:

Stored in the DME:
- (141) 8D PLAUSIBILITY, TANK FILL LEVEL, NOT PRESENT. OCCURRED 2 TIMES.

Stored in the Instrument Cluster:
- (199) C7 TANK SENSOR #1 (FUEL PUMP SIDE), NOT PRESENT. OCCURRED 0 TIMES.
- (215) D7 TANK SENSOR #2 (WITHOUT FUEL PUMP SIDE), NOT PRESENT. OCCURRED 0 TIMES.

I removed both fuel level sensors, checked the resistance when I did the sweep test and didn't find any opens in the resistor. I reinstalled it and the needle dropped to the 1/4 mark. I found out about the instrument cluster test and got the following:
Tank Sensor #1 = 21.8 liters
Tank sensor #2 = 8.1 liters
This is roughly 7.8 gallons which looked liked it did when I last checked it.

I then added 16.18 gallons of fuel and the needle went to the 3/4 mark. I did the cluster test again and got the following:
Tank Sensor #1 = 55 liters
Tank Sensor #2 = 27 liters
This is about 21.66 gallons so this should be a full tank right?

I am also getting" TNKANZ: 58.8L, Phase 1"
58.8L equals 15.53 gallons. Phase 1 means both sensors are OK but I don't know if I believe that or not.

To my knowledge, the drivers side fuel sending unit has never been replaced. I am starting to think that the drivers fuel sending unit or the instrument cluster itself could be faulty.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links