View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 02:48 PM

oldskewel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswapp View Post
It just amuses me to see how many people don't know what or how a magnetic reed switch works. The Magnet operates the reed switch which is the coolant level sensor. It operates like a door alarm switch where you have a fixed magnet and a fixed switch. As the magnet gets into the proper proximity of the switch it either opens or closes the switch depending on if it's a NC or NO switch. Pretty easy circuit to understand. So it's not the magnet that is communication with the system but the magnet is operating the reed switch that then tells the system if the coolant is low or okay.
I don't think there is any doubt or misunderstanding by most people on here about any of that. Yes, reed switch, magnet, pretty straightforward. The mystery and unexplained behaviour comes when you consider the more intricate details as clearly and carefully laid out in post #16.

I've never had a problem with my coolant level sensor, but read this for interest in knowing how my car works, and solving problems. Tough when you know some things presented as facts are wrong, etc. But it really did seem weird ... until that post #16. After that, everything does make sense, and I feel I'll be able to carefully troubleshoot a problem if one ever occurs.

Have you done tests on your own system to confirm that post #16's system description it correct or not? I have not, but it does seem to be the explanation for all the (previously) confusing reports in just about every other post on this issue.

Sponsored Links