View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 05:16 PM

Overboost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
So you ARE going to do something like what I was planning on doing. I want the cameras powered up all the time with ACC. Rear recording to the head unit, and front will record to onboard internal storage.

With my Avin 2 it required an analog reverse trigger. You've seen my method of providing it. I plan on modifying that schematic to have the NO pin of the relay have constant ACC 12v to the camera. Then keep NC with the reverse trigger and power to the camera. This way I retain PDC button trigger to display, reverse trigger by shifting, and the camera is powered all the time and feeding the head unit an image.

What I have not looked into yet is whether or not I will have to split the video signal from the camera into both the reverse cam input (RCA) and a Video In input (RCA) in order to have full time recording. Will have to see if an android DVR app will capture from the reverse cam input at all, let alone if it only does it during reverse triggers. We shall see.

It does not surprise me that Avin was not helpful in your specific use-case. What you (and I) are trying to accomplish is very edge case and probably not something they've been asked before, if ever. I'm sure they provide the analog reverse trigger so they don't have to worry about Canbus triggers and the like.

You're blazing a new trail. I hope to follow you soon.
The DVR app within the Avant-3 is one of the nicer features of their unit. I offers a lane departure alert that I really would like to have. Having a feature like that on a 2004 brings the car more into 2015 technology. This video at 11:38 explains that feature.

https://youtu.be/x90ED5zboro

How the recording is processed I don't know and can't find these answers anywhere. It does create separate videos (front/rear) as seen in the video at 13:40. I know the front camera has the MicroSD slot for recording to it but no idea where the rear camera is recorded. Maybe the rear does get recorded through the head unit as you suggest.

Even the guy on the video claims his camera is powered from the reverse lights at 14:50 but the PIP view shows his rear camera clearly working in his video out of reverse.

These types of conflicting answers send my OCD into overdrive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowz View Post
Kind of sad they don't trigger the reverse thru the canbus decoder like the Seicane does. Even my eonons do that.
In the end, one extra wire connection is not a game-changer but come on... Really?

Maybe some of the Fords, Nissans and Toyotas do not indicate reverse over the CAN bus decoder but the BMW does so why not use it.

Last edited by Overboost; 12-15-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Sponsored Links