View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 12:07 PM

crystalworks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
Second line in that article:

"Fuel pumps are either cooled by the gas around them or by the gas that is flowing through them."

It goes on to elaborate that running the pump dry is the major offense, not running the tank low.

Even CR, which I don't hold a lot of weight to when it comes to autos says, "The gasoline acts like a coolant for the electric fuel-pump motor, so when you run very low, this allows the pump to suck in air, which creates heat and can cause the fuel pump to wear prematurely and potentially fail."

This also says that dry running is what could kill the pump.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to do one thing or the other. Just stating my opinion that running from full to empty is probably not what killed a pump. Mileage/age is. If we were seeing pumps fail at 50,000 miles... I'd be inclined to possibly look into it further. But the only pumps I've seen fail have been well over 100,000 miles. Unless referring to the HPFP found in the certain variants of the e90/92 where there was a known early failure problem with them when they switched to direct injection.

2006 X5 4.8is Build 11/05 Maintenance/Build Log
Nav, DSP, Pano, Running Boards, OEM Tow Hitch, Cold Weather Pckg (Purchased 08/15 w/ 90,500 miles)

2010 X5 35d Build 02/10
Nav, HiFi, 6 DVD, Sports Pckg, Cold Weather Pckg, HUD, CAS, Running Boards, Leather Dash, PDC, Pano (Purchased 03/17 w/ 136,120 miles)

Sponsored Links