View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 07:59 PM

X5only is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcredliner View Post
Negative comments became a much more significant problem when social media became the preferred method of communication. I think the question to ask is-- why does anyone choose to post a negative opinion to someone they don't know? Is it in ones character or are they a follower of the norm in social media?
There are positive and negative opinions. In circumstances such as social media, when someone is proud of something they have done, especially if one has no personal relationship with that person, it is the considerate mature action to keep that negative opinion to oneself unless that person asks for your opinion. If they ask for an opinion that's when respect and consideration for another person should be clear in a response. That has never been an integral part of social media communication.

We also often see posts that say- why can't we all just get along. We never did but social media exasperated that problem. We read more challenges to inconsiderate posts. It is partly because written word is so easily misinterpreted but mostly because the accepted face to face socially accepted behavior did not extend into social media as a standard. And, rather than apologizing for something that offends someone it is considered appropriate to adamantly defend the post with the often used--- you misunderstood my post, how stupid can you be, don't be so sensitive, grow up or implied versions of same.

Constructive differences of opinion are vital to progress but framed in a negative fashion to another opinion are the best way to get nothing done, it just becomes a point and counter point debate. In this thread there was no problem to solve and as a community there is nothing constructive about an inconsiderate negative opinion.

Some things about the good ol' days prior to social media were much better. When the primary method of communication was face to face, with friends, there was something to lose. Expressions and body language were there to consider. Differences were usually resolved with clarification or compromise, apologies or with the help of the rest of the group of friends. The tag line on the home page states-where they come for the information and stay for the friends. Ask yourself-- is this how I should respond to a friend via social media?

This is not suggesting there is only one way or we can't differ or share it is how to constructively do so.
Bcredliner, welcome to the vagaries of the connected world You're going through what every generation does. Even the cave man complained about the pen and written word. Yep, he also said the millennials are the most disrespectful, self serving, indoctrinated generation he has ever seen. Which is said about each and every generation.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households."

Socrates 469 BC

Last edited by X5only; 01-31-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Sponsored Links