View Single Post
Old 02-06-2019, 02:16 AM

FourPointEight-is is on a distinguished road
Some interesting developments.

I jacked both wheels clear off the ground and grabbed onto the front wheels at 9 and 3 o'clock - gave it a violent shaking. No banging / creaking / knocking sound at all. Repeated test on both sides - no noises.

Then I loosened the E10 torx screw that holds the double universal joint on (you will need a few extensions to get it to fit properly) took out the steering column universal joint in hopes that I could bench test this joint and sure enough, it has play and is making a clicking sound. It's not quite as violent as is heard/felt, but that may just be a function of the various steering components amplifying the sounds. It doesn't ALWAYS seem to have play/make the knocking sound - just in some specific positions.

I have a feeling this issue is an amalgamation of a few worn out components.

Replacement ordered from pelican, I will report back once fitted.

Additionally, wouldn't play in the lower control arms / ball joints be quite obvious? The inspection sheet says there is play but no matter how hard I grab and shake these I can't get them to move. Also, all the boots look brand new as well, nothing obviously wrong.

I found this video on the tube last night. This is the EXACT noise mine is making: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwT1_Lv9fz4

Sponsored Links