View Single Post
Old 02-11-2019, 10:07 PM

Don Nguyen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
They aren't torque to yield no need to replace. They aren't even very strong. Determine what grade and you can just order a batch from Amazon. On the 8 cyl there are about three that are a different length so something to be aware about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ah ok. So it's not like the aluminum bolts for the oil that come on some of the newer cars/models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
O.P.,

- How many miles in your E53 M54 engine?
- I have not read every paragraph but did you replace the OFH Gasket yet?
- For the oil pan gasket: BMW only (no aftermarket), it is not expensive.

BTW, if the leak is minor, live with it.
- Again, I'd appreciate if you can do the BavarianE39 CCV Mod (crankcase vacuum will increase) and report back if it stops (or minimize) your presumed RMS leak. I'd love to know if increased crankcase vacuum solves the RMS leak!

About 185k miles. I did not replace the OFH yet, but my driver side is relatively dry in comparison to the passenger side. I've checked the area around ofh and the waffled areas. It is mildly dirty, but not as much as it is on the rear/passenger areas of the engine.

I've attached a picture of how much oil leaks off of the stiffening plate after sitting for only 1-2 days. This is without having driven the car.

I am going to most likely follow the process below:

Order new oil pan gasket

Tighten the oil pan bolts and then let the engine sit for a day or two to see if there is any oil leaking still. If it is still leaking quite a bit, then with the stiffening plate already off, I'll just go through the process of replacing the gasket at the same time.

Ideally this solves the major oil leaks. If it doesn't, then at that point, I may look at the CCV mod and/or RMS/etc.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links