View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 01:17 PM

Chiken is on a distinguished road
2001 E53 4.4 oil seperator (what's in the inside)

Hi all. Long time, first time from a small prairie town here in Champaign, Illinois.

Sitrep: we've had a 20 below zero weather hit us here a couple weeks ago. As I pulled into my garage from the commute back from work(5 miles), I was alarmed by the site of engine oil drooling from the passenger side under(about a 1/3 of a qt). Next day, I noted the expansion tank empty as well(with visible accumulation on the diaper) Started the car in attempt to diagnois the leak, and yup...white smoke from the pipes. I jacked her up, reinforce plate off and I failed at finding the source.

Question: I'm in a process of ordering hoses(all 3) for the oil seperator (ripped and gummied). But I wondered if I could spray down and reuse the old seperator itself. I can get the Vaico brand seperator for $34 shipped so it's not about the money. I was simply curious to know what's inside of it.

Thanks guys. Also feel free to offer an input as to why the expansion tank might have been emptied and what causes oil drools(not drops) in super cold climate.

Sponsored Links