View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 01:22 PM

GOFAST GUY is on a distinguished road
My CCV froze and blew all the oil out of my X5. NEED HELP

Hey Guys, Canadian winters really SUCK btw...
After being away with work for 5 days, I cold started it to drive home and it was rough starting and at first didn't didn't have any throttle, it just idled so i slowly drove it out of the parking lot at work and down the street to warm it up. Once I got about a km down the road I shut it off and restarted it and then had some throttle response and things seemed normal. The vehicle temp came up and the oil temp seemed normal too. I got about 30min down the highway and suddenly my oil light flickered and caught my attention. I slowed down and paid attention to it until it came on and then I slammed on the brakes, pulled over and shut the vehicle off. I popped the hood and checked the dip stick for oil and there was none so I looked under the vehicle and the bottom was covered. I called a tow truck and had it flat bedded home. I pulled the undercarriage covers off and found that it blew the short hose attached to the bottom of the CCV oil separator (slim funnel looking thing). My top hose going back to my valve cover was completely frozen with ice so I made sure both hoses were clean and dry along with the CCV separator. I managed to get it all back together but I'm confused now as to which hose goes to which inlet in the oil separator. I have two different images from searching for parts on the internet showing the hoses going to different holes. The way I had them was the hose going from the valve cover went to the top hole and the second hose went down into the intake manifold but I'm not 100% certain this is the right way.
Also, Once I added oil again and tried running it, it idles really rough and I have no throttle. The yellow engine light is on and it's flashing too. My buddy is coming over with his code reader to see what codes it's throwing. After adding oil and running it a bit (2-3min tops) I drained the oil and checked for metal in the oil while putting it through a paint strainer and didn't find any so I dumped the oil back in.

With the CCV oil separator, I have ordered a new one that will be in tomorrow but after cleaning mine out, I can blow in any one of the three holes and feel air from the other two. It isn't cracked at all so I think it's still good. I bought a piece of 50psi low pressure black rubber hose from Auto Value and used a heat gun to warm it up and then pushed the back of a steel punch into the hose to stretch it and then let it cool. I did both sides and then slid the one end onto the bottom of the separator with a hose clamp. Since I widened the opposite end, I was able to slide it onto the metal oil return pipe and install a hose clamp to secure it. I fought with it for awhile before figuring this idea out so hopefully it helps someone else.
03 BMW 4.6IS
98 BMW E36 M3 modified

Sponsored Links