View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 08:14 PM

Oldmactech is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys

I believe it’s number 5 on the torque sheets. Third from the front, on the intake side.

What happened is I torque all to 28ft lbs then switched to a breaker bar to do the 90degrees . Got to #5 and heard a pop and the bolt went slack in the hole. I tried to tightened it a bit more and it spun. Unscrewed the bolt and about 3/4 in” of the timesert thread came out attached to the bolt. What I suspect happened is that the Sert didn’t bottom all the way out. I used the $450 kit that had a guideline on the seating tool that I lined up as instructed. Several others went a bit past the guideline before bottoming out. I suspect I may not have gone barely not deep enough to bottom and lock into place.

Later I will insert my camera in the hole to see what is there but with the head off I reInserted an original bolt in the hole and it tightened ok (not to torque specs yet) so there apparently is still thread in the hole.

I have options, none perfect. Local Indy BMW shop said I should replace the block but then told me sound blocks are hard to find. He’s willing to rent his timesert kit to me but said I was probably wasting my time. Would hope I could put another sert in the hole and it would work but nut likely.

I am considering simply putting a helicoil or something else in the hole.

Of course a mysterious fire might be my best option.....

Sponsored Links