View Single Post
Old 04-11-2019, 10:53 PM
Premier Member

X5only is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickGT1 View Post
We all do. I plan on tackling it myself if no one pops out and does it for like $1k tops. Other than that, not really worth it to not try and DIY.
It's not a tough job really. If you're comfortable tackling the valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals replacement is very much within your skill level. It's just time consuming and requires super extra care. One must not have time pressure when tackling the project. I strongly advice against renting the tools. You'll be under so much pressure to be done and that's just the right formulae for serious errors. I did rent from Tonys Aga N62 Tool Rental service and lost $500 since I wasn't done when return date was due. I then bought my own tools (including the timing tools!) for around the same amount (duh!) and took my sweet time to carefully and slowly complete the project - about 3 hours a day in the evenings after work and 6 hours a day on weekends whenever the lady of house allowed. Took me about 2.5 months. Only rent if you can dedicate at least 10 hours a day for 2 weeks. Imagine if you had to re-open the engine if things were not right upon reassembly and a test drive. You have to provide time for that too.

Good luck!

Last edited by X5only; 04-12-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Sponsored Links