View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 10:40 PM

Purplefade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M-ISH View Post
Too late for the OP, but making a video from several angles of turning over the engine by hand will give assurance by giving oneself the ability to check the work performed before the valve covers go back on. As you said, this moment is the last chance to ensure the work is performed correctly. During the initial tear down, this process will take only a few moments.

As a side topic, does anyone know what the stealership quotes for time involved to perform this? Also, for those of you who have completed this on your own or with buddies, how much time (not elapsed) did it take? Gimme your data.

I couldn't agree more, my wife tells me all the time that i am "over-kill"... I have actually been turning the engine over one full cycle after I re-seat each of the rocker arms. It gives me an opportunity to review one full cycle of the engine immediately after I re-seat "that" valves keepers and take pressure off the spring, it's like a little "mini review" of each cylinder before the grand finale, (hand) crank event to make sure all's well for ignition :-)

For quotes I found everything from $2,100 + incidentals to $6,800 + incidentals. I found guys that would take responsibility for the cam sensors and eccentric shaft sensors and others who said if they crack, it's on you because they were old and brittle anyway - it really ran the gamete...

Time wise... WOW, I really went in to this with some misguided confidence... I can say that it isn't a "hard" job per say as much as it is a job were I.. think I may have invented a new language (and possibly cracked up just a little bit.. too ).

So far I have put in about 26 hours - about 6 on a nice, clean, methodical tear down and label shit day and the other 20 hours installing 20 of the 32 valve stem seals (I actually just finished the last of the exhaust valves this evening (bogger in the back on the driver side is a bitch to get a hold of to remove!) and have 12 of the intake seals yet go go... (and 2 of them are a royal pain) so I am guessing I have probably another 20 hours ahead of me with reassembling everything and cleaning up.

Sponsored Links