View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 12:50 PM

X5M-ISH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefade View Post
Once I have everything put back together I am going to "bounce" the car in the garage and see if I can get that keeper to fall on to the floor...
It may be laying on top of the black cover/drip tray. Drop that on one side and see if it’s there.

Over coffee this morning I added up the parts required for this project. I wanted to see the cost benefits reflected against what I was quoted from an Indie mechanic (not the one who quoted me “sell it”). My assumptions are:
*all OEM parts at the indie will be used for repairs.
*the indie will charge full retail dealership prices for parts.
*the price of the specialty tools needed has already been written off.
*the indie will warranty the parts and labor if they are worth their salt.
*the indie will fix any additional items they break outside the original scope at their own expense.
*the indie will set a specific time frame of completion.
*I will want them to perform additional work such as timing case gaskets.
*they will notify me in writing if they notice any additional points of contention outside the original scope of work.
*I will need to rent a car for five days @ $50/day.

$2,900 to $3,200: P&L with engine remaining in the truck @ 32 to 40 hours turn around. $250 for the car rental. Total: $3,150 to $3,450

Performing this myself, my assumptions are:
*I will want to perform additional work such as upper timing case gaskets.
*I will replace additional vacuum lines and gaskets associated with the valves, upper timing cases, breather hoses etc.
*I do not have the specialty tools needed or a fully equipped garage.
*I will need to rent a car for seven to ten days MINIMUM, perhaps longer if a part is lost or broken or in transit.
*I will be able to work on this project for 10-12 hours Sat-Sun, 3-4 hours Mon-Fri; starting on a Saturday.
*I will need to spend my own time sourcing parts.
*no warranty on my own work.
*no additional set of hands if needed.
*I get to pat myself on the back once everything is finished.

Parts from FCP or Pelican, based on genuine OEM parts, will be $700 before any tax and shipping (calculate a few hundred less using OE parts). Rental car carries over from above @ $50/day. The valve seal tool to buy outright runs around $500 (slightly less if rented). Ballpark total is $1,700. Now, there’s a member who offered to lend me his valve seal tool, so assuming no one else has this tool when I am ready, my new total is $1,200.

$1,200 and the work is done myself, no warranty, in about ten days elapsed.
$3,450 and the work is done by an indie, warranty on parts and labor, completed in five business days.

Is $2,000 worth a warranty, no headache and peace of mind? Is it worth doing something this large on your own?

Last edited by X5M-ISH; 05-19-2019 at 12:56 PM.

Sponsored Links