View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 04:47 PM

wpoll will become famous soon enough
Good luck with finding any info on flow rates and MAF response etc.

While the factory intake seems complex (because it is...) it includes a number of systems that you'll need to take into account of if you are looking to modify anything up that end.

The first (largest?) hurdle is that the oval MAF housing mount is part of the valve cover..!

You can see the MAF position at the lower right in the image above. To make any change here, you are going to need to hack up your valve cover.

Parts of the crank case breather and oil recovery systems (CCV) are built into the air filter frame on the valve cover too. There's a system of pipes that run from the breather assembly to the turbo compressor intake, under the air filter housing, so if you modify and/or remove the factory air intake and filtration arrangement, you'll need to develop a replacement for that system too.

I'm no expert on turbo diesel engines but given that the factory system is designed to deliver sufficient air to meet the demands of the turbo at full boost (about 2 bar I think) I'm guessing that "opening up" the intake so it can breather better won't make any real-work difference to performance. As the boost system controls (limits) the power level based on a number of factors such as throttle demand, engine rpm, engine temp, load, etc. I'm not sure that making more air available will make any difference.

Not wanting to pour cold water on your plans, just making sure you are aware of how deep this dive might get!!

Sponsored Links