View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 03:27 PM

Brake_L8 is on a distinguished road
'01 3.0i Project - Soft-Roading on the Cheap (Also, Lots of Dash Lights!)

Hi everyone, I just picked up a 2001 X5 3.0 on the cheap. I'm doing a "cheap crossover off-road challenge" and this fit the bill. $1700 with 195k miles and a Christmas Tree dashboard. Not new to BMWs, have had uh... nine? before this. First X5 though, and it's got some goofy electrical stuff going on.

I have the Trifecta lights as well as the Transmission Failsafe light illuminated, as well as the SES light.

The transmission shifts fine on its own and goes up and down through all gears. It also does its thing in DS mode and I can Steptronic through gears on my own. Shifts up and down are a bit firm at times so it may be upping the line pressure due to the warning light.

Otherwise, it will pull strong enough to redline and click off shifts. Does 65-70 mph happily.

Going to read the codes tomorrow, but I am guessing a wheel speed sensor could be a culprit.

It's also got some strange electrical things in the dash. Turn signals and high beams work, but cluster bulbs don't illuminate (nor does the turn signal clicker make noise). Hazard button works and flashes properly. Key fobs do not work to operate the remote door locks. Locking manually does produce the alarm chirp. It randomly agrees with me that the driver's door is closed and my seatbelt is fastened.

There's an Eonon Android head unit installed and I'm wondering if that could be causing some issues.

Anyway, will be pulling codes but wanted to see what the hive mind thought as well. Going to keep the thread updated with what I find.

Last edited by Brake_L8; 06-26-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Sponsored Links