View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 01:38 AM

BMW_E53 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickGT1 View Post
Sounds every similar to what I dealt with. And I meant to say that I got an “overvoltage” error when scanning for errors with INPA. It showed my voltage spike to 15v and take out all sorts of other computers as fault protection. So it time stamps when overvoltage happened. And time stamps matched up identical with abs computer going down for example.

I don’t remember anymore, but I have Inpa, so I never wait for codes to go away, I reset and wait as a habit.

Tips from memory. My tool Arsenal is pretty advanced, but I don’t remember needing anything special here. Literally beers and chilling which my friend the whole way.

This is a very easy job on the 4.8is. Remove intake stuff. Remove electric fan. Takes 5 min. Disconnect neg battery terminal. Or use a kill switch, best mod for my car ever, by the way. Then remove duct for alternator, then remove belt. Then unscrew alt, pull out a bit and unbolt power wire. Twist turn, don’t slam the radiator. Put cardboard in front of it to be safe. Alternator out. Remove voltage regulator. Polish the copper/brass looking slip ring. I used this polishing cloth, but 3000 grit sand paper worked faster. I managed to spin the alt with my drill. I forgot how i rigged it up, but it made polishing the ring easy.

Inspect new regulator. Do not engage anything on it, or your install will get a lot harder. It’s sorta trick how it engages when you install it. You will see what I mean when you do it. I forget exactly, but you have to make the brushes contact, after you bolt it on the alt. Don’t push shit, or you will be sitting there putting the brush and spring back into the regulator. No fear after it’s bolted to alt. Then install. Start car and monitor voltage.

I was paranoid for a few days. I have never had overvoltage before, so this felt like an experiment. Well no issues since. 30k miles now. Went from crazy shit, to why the F..k was this so cheap to fix.
Thank you very much for the help! I will be ordering a new regulator and replace the old one. Shouldn't be too hard for me! I'll update this post if I run into any other issues.
2011 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner V6

Sponsored Links