View Single Post
Old 07-29-2019, 03:19 PM

SlickGT1 is on a distinguished road
So this turned into a huge ass time crunch for the driver side, and much much faster on pass side.

First off, anyone ordering that tool to press out the bushing, needs to know that it does not work out of the box. The flat part people mention that lets it clear the arm, is false. I discovered this upon further inspection after I grenaded the bearing in the tool, and put in a healthy bend on the bolt. I then proceeded to take my angle grinder, and take of a nice amount of the thickness from about 1" of the edge. This allowed the receiver cup to sit flush with the arm.

I then heated and straightened the bolt. Then made a washer sandwich as there was no more bearing in the receiver cup.

This caused me extensive delays. As at this point I was between a rock and a hard place.

Once this issue with the tool was resolved, I managed to get the bushing out in two passes, mostly due to fear of me breaking the bolt. The other side went much easier.

So the Lemfoerder upper control arms don't have the bolt hole line up that hold the plastic wire holder thing. Had to make two offset bolts, as I didn't think drilling the arm for the little screw would be smart.

I realized that I need a lot more stubby impact sockets. The amount of times I couldn't get my gun in some of the places was frustrating.

Integral link is another pain in the ass. You must use the long bolt, to press the integral link onto the bushing before trying to slip that into the lower control arm.

All in all, it is a heavy, job. Dirty. Not too difficult if the tool does not fail.

Took me 2 hours for the passenger side. But that not including the cleanup, or setup that happened before the drivers side began. Knowing that the tool must be modified, and modifying it before starting would have saved me a lot of hours fixing it. Anyway, I'm sore.

The really good news is that this has now resolved the last of that vibration at highway speeds. Upper control arms were shot. The balljoints were all cracked at the boots and had dirt in them. 104k miles.

2017 F85 x5m, Black on Red. BEAST MODE

"The older we grow the greater becomes our wonder at how much ignorance one can contain without bursting one's clothes." - Mark Twain

Unlock OBC post 5

Sponsored Links