View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 10:31 PM

oldskewel is on a distinguished road
Definitely yes, try just changing the oil. Stick with the spec, which is probably about 75W-90.

When I got my 2001 3.0i with about 160k on it, I don't think the front diff fluid had ever been changed, and the rear had probably been changed once. I think due to the stiffening plate cover there, it is an easier thing to skip. And BMW specified lifetime fluid there, so in theory no need to ever change it.

Driving the car home after buying it, I could hear what I thought was front diff noise, and never heard that again, after changing most of the fluids pretty much as soon as I had it in my driveway.

And I reused the drain and fill plugs. Nothing blown up yet. I promise to update this post if that ever happens.

Some more details are coming back to me now ... I think since the front fluid was so dirty looking (and even smelled a little burned), I changed the fluid, ran it for a week or so, and then changed it again. Glad I did that.

And I even found my notes on that: 700 mL Valvoline syn 75W90 GL-5. Drain and fill plugs are 14mm Allen, 60 Nm. Re-used Aluminum gaskets. Of course, you should never reuse those gaskets unless it's much more convenient than the alternative.

And of course to get at the front diff _almost_ requires removal of the stiffening plate. Far easier to get at if you just remove that plate. But whether to re-use the 6 bolts (like I did) is a controversial issue.

Sponsored Links