View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 01:22 PM

iansanderson is on a distinguished road
I'm really happy you made this post RDCX5! I have been banging my head against a wall for two years over my passenger mirror reverse dip on my '04 E53.

In the E53, the SM controls exterior mirror recall for seat memory, and reverse dip. My passenger mirror goes where ever it wants into and out of reverse. Sometimes it dips halfway down, sometimes it stays pointed at the road and doesn't come up. Today, I kept pressing memory 1 and the mirror would move all over the place even though I wasn't adjusting it. I have replaced almost every part of the mirror control system to date: mirror drive, general module, driver switch module, passenger switch module.

What I have not replaced was the seat module. What you wrote totally makes sense. The amount of read/write cycles the (now 16 year old) CPU takes for something like mirror memory is probably the culprit considering every X and Y adjustment, reverse dip, seat recall, uses the CPU memory. The passenger mirror data is probably no longer being recalled correctly from the CPU causing the erratic behavior. The new SM will be here in a few days, and I am hopeful it finally fixes it!

Last edited by iansanderson; 09-05-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Sponsored Links