View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 03:49 AM

Moments is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mihai View Post
but since the mechanic adjusted the camber to the max, should't the wheel stay straight or almost straight? considering that i changed the ball joint and the rear upper control arm. i am beginning to think that it might be the swing arm bushings. how long do those things last usually?

I needed new ball joints at 140,000 miles. Both upper arms were worn - the larger wishbone quite badly on the outer joint, the smaller arms not bad but the boots had perished, so all arms and brake line retainers changed, along with the integral links (not visibly worn but may as well replace when all of this was in pieces).
The lower arm inner bushes were absolutely fine. I’d have changed them we’re there any doubt at all. Strangely, the anti-roll bar links were also good so I left these alone as well.
When taking for alignment, like all E53s the rear looks visibly negative camber, the alignment shop adjusts toe to keep the contact patch controlled.
Experience of many BMW vehicles with multi-link rear suspension tells me to check alignment regardless every 30-40,000 miles. My usage has a lot of highway so others may advise earlier intervals.

Sponsored Links