View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 12:07 PM

JNMNL52 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwynn View Post
You need to see the realtime ect (engine core temp aka coolant outlet temp). You can use a good scanner or use the hidden OBC menu.

The temp indicator on the dash is not remotely a "gauge" and reads noon from about 60 to 110 °C so it is positively useless sending false sense of security most of the time.

Watch real time temp and it should climb quickly to about 90-92C than stay right there. If it doesn't: stuck thermostat is the problem.
Hi Andrew: I got into the hidden OBC menu this morning and checked the coolant temps. The outside air temp this morning was 44 degrees F. Here is what I indicated with engine just at idle (not racing):

Cold engine prior to start: 7C. The cluster temp gauge was pegged to the left in the blue paint at 10 o'clock. After start: 5 min-41C, 10 min-55C, 15 min-66C, 20 min-74C (temp gauge needle at 12 o'clock), 25 min-81C, 30 min-86C. After idling for 30 min I took the car out on the highway and steady state KTEMP was 90C for an hour commute to work.

I assume the 90C operating temp will occur a lot quicker if I started moving in the car after start - which is what I normally do and do not notice the temp gauge in the blue much after start. It appears that the temp sensor on the lower hose is providing accurate information to the thermostat, so I suspect the thermostat is stuck open given the amount of time it took to reach operating temp at idle but I do not have a feel for that. It did not climb quickly at idle as you stated. What are your thoughts?

Sponsored Links