View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 07:22 PM

haigha is on a distinguished road
My friend thinks it's the alternator. No belt slipping or squeaking.

Warmer today. 13 V from the new battery, just off the trickle charger. Dropped to 12.1 when I used the Foxwell in position 1.

Then, we got 11.8 V after turning the engine on. No error codes or warning lights this time, but it didn't rise above 11.8 V even after waiting until the oil temperature gauge was past half-way to operating temp. Same voltage at battery and gear box this time. Maybe 11.8 is barely enough to not error out the VTG, DSC, ABS and transmission modules, but still not right for proper performance.

Restarting the first time after warming it up this far didn't work either, still running at 11.8 - 11.9 V. Third time was the charm, immediately went to 14 V. That time, I used the dash Test 9, instead of the Foxwell. Probably not relevant, but noting it.

In good news, we also serviced my Stihl BR600 backpack blower. New filter, spark plug and cleaned the carburetor. Runs on the first pull again and idles better.

My friend's view is that it's better to replace the whole alternator because it's a relatively big job. Or is there an easy way to just replace the voltage regulator to rule that out?

I haven't seen any how to videos or write ups for the N62 X5 alternator or voltage regulator. I have the Bentley manual, but it doesn't go into detail that I've seen.

The engine runs great after it gets the proper 14 V and shifts are smooth after the transmission filter/gasket change and 3X fluid drain.

EDIT: Found this video which appears to be the N62

https://youtu.be/b8lobpyEldw (less than 14 minutes!)

A little hard to follow the commentary, but from what I can tell, he says you need:

- 10 mm socket for top brackets

- slot screwdriver to release clips

- T60 (release belt)

- 5/8" socket with breaker bar (16 mm?) to remove two bolts holding alternator to engine

- T50 (remove tensioner pulley)

- 13 mm socket to remove alternator after pulling it loose from engine

It appears he has removed the lower protection plate, but that doesn't seem necessary?

Last edited by haigha; 11-19-2019 at 12:28 AM.

Sponsored Links