View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 03:50 AM

e39_touring is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jps1995m3 View Post
Have you installed the front and rear differentials on your car?
So you’re saying with the rear differentials for the flanges you have to install the axles for the swap and you can’t just change the flanges from the 3.0 manual to the 4.4 ,3.64 diff?
They're installed, but I'm still piecing together the rest of the truck after tackling a bunch of other stuff underneath.

If you go back to post #4 above, I attached pictures of what I call 'stub axles'. These pop in and out of the rear differential, and what I call 'full axles' or 'axle shafts' bolt onto the stub axles on one end and the wheel hub on the other.

Changing from a pre-LCI (5 speed) manual stock (4.10) diff to a 4.4L (3.64 ratio) diff requires moving your manual stub axles to the new 3.64 diff (and then reusing your manual axle shafts with it). I did it this way since you have to pop out the stub axles anyway to replace the differential seals, and any future axle replacements will match the way the truck was originally configured. The alternative is you can use the stub axles that came with the 3.64 differential, BUT you have to use the matching axle shafts that came with the 4.4 X5 as the ones from your manual won't bolt up (again, see the pic in post #4). The wheel end of all the E53's is the same.
Block Tester

Sponsored Links