View Single Post
Old 02-13-2020, 01:02 PM
Premier Member

bcredliner is on a distinguished road
Not likely there would be national coverage for town hall meetings and most of the questions would be soft ones but I agree the debates are barely worthwhile to watch. Unfortunately for a large part of the nation debates are the only way to attempt to identify differences. I think the key is changing the debate format.

Perhaps start with summation of what they all tout in the town hall meetings--What are you going to do that will impact taxation, global warming, environment management, medical care, foreign aid and relations, infrastructure, improving bi-partisan cooperation, strengthening the middle class, balance the budget, reduce the deficient, etc. Perhaps post bullet points behind them so we can see each of their positions.

I agree that as is the debates are chaos and that is the network's failing. However, I want to see side by side comparisons of the different points of view, how each handles the pressure of surprise questions, and if they look and naturally act like a President, whatever that is.

There are debate rules. All candidates agree to the rules beforehand. The problem is they are not enforced. If a candidate interrupts have a debate chair person that only enforces the rules, pounds a gavel when they are out of line and if that doesn't work cut off their microphone or only open the mic of the speaker. If they don't answer the question ask them if there was a reason or where in their response was the answer to the question. Cut the time allotted for responses in half. Sounds impossible to get to anything that is effective from the current debates but they can't continue to be conducted as they have been.

One of key traits of a good leader is the ability to boil down complex problems to a short concise explanation that can clearly be acted upon---what, where, when, why, how. Any candidate that is not able to do so is not qualified to be President, IMO.

Last edited by bcredliner; 02-13-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Sponsored Links