View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 09:06 AM

upallnight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by e7ats View Post
Hi everyone. New here and first post. I'm also new to working on BMWs. I'm very familiar with Fords and GM products. So this is a learning curve for me.

I've picked up a 2001 X5 with just over 200,000 miles on the clock. It has been sitting for over a year. The former owner says he had the brakes replaced and new tires put on.

The engine sounds strong but appears to have oil leaking out of the passenger side of oil pan where the CV shaft goes through. Is that possible? The skid plate and pad on top of it was saturated in oil.

The rear tail lights, are both top and bottom lenses suppose to light when stepping on the brake? Right now only the bottom lights come on.

Now the funny. The brake reservoir was very low, so I topped it off. When I drove it, the brake peddle went way down and was hard to stop. The left front gowned. I jacked up the left front and removed the tire to find the outer brake pad had been installed backwards. Yes, metal against the rotor. Fortunately they didn't drive it too much and not too much damage to the rotor. Started bleeding the rear brakes and once I got the air out I noticed fluid dripping down midway on the vehicle. Found the driver side brake line had a hole. Passenger side line also showed signs of rusting. So I replaced 2 feet of line on both brake lines going to the rear. Now this thing will stop on a dime.

The radio has a bunch of LEDs burned out on the display so it is very difficult to know exactly what you are choosing. The arm rest has a holder for CDs. Has anyone been able to remove this and actually use it as storage?

While checking the windows I was rolling the rear passenger window up when it popped and dropped down into the door. I took the door apart and found the cable that pulls the window up had come loose from its mount.

Search is going to my friend on this forum. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

There's a seal there, but the fluid is not oil. The fluid will be the fluid used in the differential. Buy the OEM seal and not some cheap seal on eBay or Amazon. OEM seal has a lip seal thingamagjig that retain the spring so it doesn't come off as you pound the seal back in or if you do cheap out and buy an eBay or Amazon seal, load the back of the seal up with grease to prevent the spring from popping out. The oil in the pad could also be from the OFHG leaking which is more common.

As for the front brakes, look like a DIY job gone wrong. I wonder what else the PO tried to fix and fucked up.

The radio display or mid (multi info display) can be repaired. The part to repair is cheap, but there are many people that offer the service to repair it. If you are good at electronic repair and know how to micro solder you should be ok, if not just send it in.

Velcome.
Lotus Europa 1970 S2 Renault Powered
Lotus Type 52 1970 Twincam Webers Powered
PORSCHE 911 Targa 1982 The Garage Queen
Audi Avant donated to Kars for Kids
BMW 525IT Sold
Audi 4000CS Quattro Sold
Jensen Healey Lotus Powered Sold
Opel 1900 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1971 Sold
Triumph Spitfire 1968 Sold
Plymouth "Cuda" 340 Six pack SOLD

Last edited by upallnight; 03-27-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Sponsored Links